The Western Jurisdiction subscribes to the best practices of Short Term Mission Teams. Contact your WJ or Annual Conference Coordinator for assistance with any aspect of UMVIM Team development.
Best Practices of Short Term Mission Teams
- The team leader(s) complete UMVIM team leader training.
- Comply with you Annual Conference Safe Sanctuary Policy.
- Have appropriate health insurance for the mission.
- Register the team with either your Annual Conference or Jurisdictional Coordinator
- Serve with an UMVIM project or Global Ministries missionary.
How VIM Teams SERVE:
UMVIM Teams are:
- Outreach ministries to people who are homeless, hungry, or in poverty;
- Medical, Dental and Health Care Volunteer Teams
- Construction teams that repair homes, schools, hospitals, churches especially after a disaster such as a hurricane or earthquake
- Disasters both through Early Response Teams (ERT) and Long Term Recovery (LTR) Teams
- Assisting with programs for children and youth, e.g., Vacation Bible School
- Teaching vocational skills.
How to Form a VIM Team:
- Contact your Conference Coordinator for information or assistance to identify a site and trained team leader or
- Become a trained Team Leader
- Recruit team members
- Registered your team with the Conference for insurance, security and safe sanctuary purposes.
- Conduct team orientation
- Tell others about your team through a blog or Conference Newsletter.
- Tell your story when you return .