United Methodist Volunteers in Mission (UMVIM) is the short-term mission arm of the United Methodist Church. Our volunteers are lay and clergy, young and old, with differing abilities, vocations, and stations in life.
We come together through the United Methodist Church in order that all may offer their skills and talents for Christian service at home and abroad. Our emphasis is upon matching persons with opportunities so that everyone may participate in mission. After all, mission is not only for those who live in the field full-time as God calls all Christians “to bring good news to the oppressed [and] to bind up the broken-hearted” (Isaiah 61:1). We believe that no matter who you are, no matter the level of your resources, no matter how big or small your church, God is calling you to mission.
UMVIM exists to connect you with mission projects, both in your backyard and across the globe. Within the United Methodist Church, UMVIM-WJ relates closely with Annual Conference UMVIM Coordinators and the General Board of Global Ministries, all of which seek to serve as a source of information for potential volunteers.
UMVIM WJ is here as a resource for you as you seek to fulfill God’s call to serve in short-term mission journeys. There are many opportunities to serve and there are a variety of needs, both in the USA and internationally.
UMVIM WJ is the jurisdictional organization for the Western Jurisdiction of the United Methodist Church, It is responsible for facilitating short-term mission in the following annual conferences: California-Pacific, Desert Southwest, California-Nevada, Oregon-Idaho, Yellowstone, Pacific Northwest, Alaska and Rocky Mountain United Methodist Conferences.
The UMVIM WJ provides:
- Team Leader training, resources and fundraising ideas
- International and domestic project lists
- Step-by-step guides for trip planning
- Access to medical, accident, and evacuation insurance
- Networking with other Team Leaders and volunteers through events and publication
- Continued relational support
Why Do We SERVE?
- Jesus said, “Go and serve”
- Get our feet dusty
- Make a meaningful difference in the life of someone in need
- Renew our faith
- Work and worship alongside our brothers and sisters whose faith withstands the trials of poverty and major disasters
- Expand our awareness of how other people survive in the world